Thursday, July 7, 2011

i’m just seeing: winning windsors

i remember the purchase of my first dining set (in the 1980’s buying a furniture “set” was the norm), it was an oak table and a set of 6 sturdy windsor styled chairs, heavy to move and thick parts and pieces.  i loved that set especially when country décor took over the nation by storm.  being a youngling then my taste was right there in the thick of everything country.  it seemed that this set, in all of it’s oakey glory, would be something I would pass down to my children and it of course was forever to be in my family.  but alas, there finally came a time to let the set go to another owner who hopefully had the same zeal for it’s chunky character and english heritage.  it’s been quite sometime since the passing of the country craze and my dining room set and now that my tastes are much more refined, less trendy and definitely more contemporary, i am intrigued by my new fascination for this iconic chair.  i admit i am drawn to furniture that is historical in nature and spun in a new way, it’s the saying “what old is new again” that makes me do a double take!  and as this chair takes on a newer modern aesthetic, the roots are clearly visible. i am so happy to report that windsor chairs are making a comeback and more stylish than ever.windsor_style_sheet

1. New country by ethan allen burton arm chair – talk about a whole new attitude, this furniture company has defintely reinvented itself, I would take one of these chairs in a heartbeat.

2. Windsor Love Chair by anthropologie – I love, love, love the gradated painted finish, so tie dye like, hippie meets modern country!

3. and if you weren’t yet convinced, look at how amazing these red windsor like chairs look in this very hip and contemporary restaurant!

4. Smile Chair by Lievore Altherr Molina by Andreu World – one of my favorite examples of this new modern classic, I think the red is perfection!

5. Wegner PP550 Peacock chair by Hans Wegner from the Danish Design Store – there’s something to be said for iconic never goes out of style, like this masterpiece designed by Hans Wegner in 1947, so current, simply stunning in it’s scale and proportion.

6. Pair of Blue Windsor Chairs offered by Huniford from 1stdibs – the blue paint instantly updates the look of the chairs that are actually quite old, yet they are slim and uniquely interesting enough to showcase. This pair mixed with a group of simple clean wood chairs is definitely a “do”!

7. Modern Windsor Accent Chair from West Elm – I loved it when I first saw it and I still do.

8. Straight Backed Chair by George Nakashima for Knoll from DWR - another timeless classic that will endure all the trendiness of design.

9. Windsor Chair by Chris Specce from materialicious – a fun twist and super cute windsor chair design

Well there you have it, windsor chairs are no longer old fashioned or countrified, and hopefully will be around for a long time to come! Happy seeing {6}{6}!

No comments:

Post a Comment